Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Motherhood Fatigue Syndrome

It's 10:30pm, and Claire is still awake. I have no idea why this is happening. She should be exhausted after a day of playing at Gabbie's house and then with the neighbor before dinner. Maybe this is over-tired kid syndrome. Whatever the case, she's going to be a feisty one for the nanny tomorrow. Good thing I'll be at the office.

Claire had a great day at Gabbie's, and I had a great day at home "trying" to work. I say "trying" because my VPN connection into the office network dropped about every 10 minutes, and I was continually logging in. Very frustrating. By afternoon I focused on some (not fun) house tasks and kept an eye on my work emails but it was a slow day other than the issue I can't get anyone to fix at work. The twins had a pretty good day. Molly is driving me a little nutty with her screaming for attention and screaming for help to get down from the standing position and screaming at dinner for no apparent reason and screaming during diaper changes. Lily drives me nutty with the "dropsie" game - which for her involves dropping all 6 pacifiers out of her bed and then crying until someone replaces them (when will she realize to stop doing this??). Today this had to take place on my one live phone call with my boss, so I was a little annoyed at her timing.

Dinner wasn't great - both babies cried and I think I had the meltdown tonight. I retreated to my first shower for the day while the twins went to sleep and Kyle got Claire to bed. But that was more than two hours ago, and here we are, with a kid still awake. Sigh.

I'm off to bed, even if Claire is not. And I was quite wrong, I'm not anemic - iron levels look great. So my fatigue is truly Motherhood Fatigue Syndrome (let's call this MFS, and I can come up with some good 4-letter words that fit that acronym). The doctor recommended rest and sleep. Ha! Rest and sleep! Has he checked my schedule recently?

No comments: