Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Separated At Birth

Last night I attended a book talk/book signing of female authors who are identical twins but were separated at birth and adopted by different families for a "nature vs nurture" study. They finally met when they were 35 years old. It was very interesting, and caused me to feel a wide range of emotions while listening to them talk about the experience. Mostly, I feel sadness for them. They've only been in contact for about 4 1/2 years now (in fact, last night one of the twins met the other twins' brother for the first time), and their friendship and also awkwardness with each other was on full display. A fascinating story. Some day when I have more time in my life I'll read the book.

Molly woke me up at 3:30am and never really let me go back to sleep. It was a horrid night and I'm not sure how I functioned today. I fully admit that I'm not doing the right thing by her (and me) by having her in my room and allowing her to demand help in settling herself back down in the middle of the night. The molar thing isn't helping - she has three in and maybe the last one coming in - but more than the molars she's been taught that she can get help in the middle of the night so I have created a kid with major sleeping issues. Now I have to unwind this mistake and fix it. I need to think through whether the twins will finally be bunked in the same room or whether Molly will get the guest room. Ideally she would be transitioned into her own bed in the twins' room, and yet we're afraid to do that and interrupt Lily's perfect nighttime sleeping. My indecision on this point keeps this interim Molly-in-the-playpen-in-my-room thing going on so I just need to force a decision. No matter what we decide, we'll have a bad month of sleep while everyone settles into the new routine ... and I'm certainly dreading that.

On that note, I'm going to watch weather now and go to bed and pray Molly sleeps through the night.

Oh, and on a postscript note here, Claire pulled the stocking hanger down on her head and gave herself a bump and a scratch last night while I was at the book talk. Lovely. I guess next time she'll take our warning seriously about not touching the stockings.

No comments: