Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sleeping Success and Scary Snow

It's just past 8pm, and I put the twins down for the night in their room ... together ... for the third night in a row now. I'm downright flabbergasted - the transition has gone perfectly well the last two nights. I know there will be bad nights to come, but for now, I'm blown away by the ease at which they've adjusted to the new routine. Equally important, I had forgotten what it was like to have my "own" room I don't have to tiptoe around. I can read, watch tv, take a shower, brush my teeth - all the things I used to do before Molly took over my room. I'd like to say that I'm also amazed by my ability to get a full night's sleep too, but sadly, my sleep routine is in poor shape after exactly 23 months of not sleeping through the night. The first night we bunked the twins I had to get up at 5:45am to enroll Claire in the parks & rec classes. She is now in tap/ballet, gymnastics, and swimming (we'll be busy this winter, though not everything overlaps), but I didn't really fall back asleep after my early awakening for the enrollment. Last night I should have had a perfect night of sleep, but thanks to Molly training, I awoke at her usual 4am and struggled to get back to sleep for a while. I'm hoping tonight's the night where I sleep at least 8-9 hours straight.

During the day I let the twins nap in different rooms. I'm a firm believer that they are different people and need different amounts of sleep, so the separate rooms let them sleep as needed. With Lily up earlier now (she used to sleep about 1-2 hours longer at night than Molly), she actually took a Molly-length nap today - about three to four hours - so they napped about the same amount. Not a bad deal on a WFH day.

Today is our first significant snow. Snow totals are still forthcoming, and Kyle may or may not have to plow snow tonight. For a new experience, I let the twins play in the snow. One by one, I took them outside to touch it and tell them what it was called. Molly tried to imitate the word 'snow', which sounded like a drawn-out 'o'. They watched Claire cavort in the snow and make snow angels. They then begged to go out again, so I dressed them in snow bibs and coats and let them stand or sit in the snow, at which point they decided that snow was utterly terrifying and screaming was the right approach to handling the fear. I tried to calm them down to no avail, so I gave up and took them inside. Unfortunately, they were so rattled, they cried for another 10 minutes inside (shooting my blood pressure through the roof). I took some photos of them outside today and posted here.

The other picture is of the girls playing with toy strollers in the basement. Molly and Lily actually pushed each other in the strollers. Lily loves to sit and get pushed, and Molly likes pushing, but Molly does not like to sit in the stroller. It's a hoot to see them play like this together.

No comments: