Saturday, November 14, 2009

3 AM Visit

The sicknesses, and $25 co-pays, aren't stopping. My previous post mentioned Claire's non-stop coughing, so it may come as no surprise that we had an "incident" related to the coughing around 3am last night. Claire woke up coughing horribly (sounded like a barking dog) and wheezing so badly it sounded as if she could not get a full breath. She was panicky, and cried loudly enough to wake up Molly. I worked on her to stop crying and made her take deep breaths for me. She couldn't. She sounded like she was having a horrible asthma attack, yet none of my kids have asthma. I decided it was worth taking her into Children's Mercy Urgent Care which is open 24 hours a day.

By the time we arrived at Urgent Care, she seemed perfectly fine and I was feeling sheepish. However, the doctor was quickly able to tell me why she seemed fine. She has croup, and the cold night air had momentarily fixed it on the drive over. He gave her a dose of steroids to calm the inflamed vocal cords and told me that croup is viral and there's not a lot we can do but wait it out. It's possible the twins may get this also.

And on that note, Molly woke up too early this morning and her nose is slightly runny, so she's working on something new herself. It's never ending. I despise winter.

No comments: