Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Top Ten List

It's been a boring couple days here. I still believe we're headed into earache land again any day now (maybe tomorrow or the next day) but for now we're muddling through this latest round of sickness. I had a good office day today (no bottom baring at least) and I'm feeling a little more even keeled than usual. So tonight we're going to talk about 10 things you need to have in place prior to having twins. I'm not talking about numbers of onesies and bottles and all that, but the major things that will make or break you in this first year.

1. A strong marriage - twin infant parenthood will test it, and test it again
2. A short list of priorities - drop the fluff in your life (you won't have time or energy)
3. A good handle on your finances - twin expenses ain't cheap
4. Fantastic female friends (who are also mothers) who can commiserate when things are tough
5. A good pediatrician's office nearby that accounts for the stresses of bringing twins to the office
6. Access to parenting relief/breaks - whether it's family or neighbors or babysitters
7. A repertoire of quick quick quick dinners
8. Ability to laugh, even if it's 'black humor'
9. Ability to forgive yourself/your spouse for the moments you do lose your temper
10. Ability to be flexible - plans change when babies won't cooperate, are sick, etc.

I don't have these top 10 things myself, but I know if I did have them these past 9 months (yes, the girls are 9 months tomorrow) might have gone a bit more smoothly. I'm not very good at asking for help. It's a point of pride to me to be able to 'do it all' but take a lesson from me - you'll be saner if you're able to ask for help from neighbors, family, counselors, or whomever you might need.

That's it for now. I am worried I might end up with a bad night of sleep if earaches are setting in, so I should take advantage of sleep while I can. And on the subject of sleep, and the babies' 9-month milestone tomorrow, that means it's official that I haven't slept through the night for one and one-half years now ... pregnancy never offered me a full night of sleep (especially a twin pregnancy) and with Molly's continued sleeping issues that leaves me running pretty close to empty. Yawn. Good night.

No comments: