Sunday, February 1, 2009

The $25 Slushie

I was allowed another lazy Sunday morning. By the time I made it downstairs, Lily was sleeping and the rest of us were starting lunch. Kyle decided to work this afternoon so I knew that naptime schedules would keep me in the house. But then Molly wouldn't nap. I tried several times, all to no avail. By the time Lily was on her second nap I decided we better do an ear check at the clinic, so I woke up Lily and dragged all three kids back to the clinic for the second time in as many days. And? No earache. I had some fun chat time with the wonderful doctor, but I teased the staff that Claire's slushie from their office was tipping the scales at a costly $25 (my co-pay). I still don't know what Molly's issue was today though we noted that two new eye teeth have come through.

I should have known not to take Molly - she was in a fantastic mood, no crying, just wouldn't sleep. That should have told me that all was OK. Ah well, at least I'll have peace of mind at work tomorrow.

Tonight I saw "Revolutionary Road" with two girl friends (who both have twins). It's basically a movie around suburban discontent, so some of it did hit close to home; however, with the movie set in the 1950s, some of the concepts did not ring true to our lives today. Of all the things we found the most interesting about the movie, we couldn't get over how few times the kids are shown in the film - it's as if they barely exist (the children were neither seen nor heard in this movie!). This is just so unrealistic to us as moms - young kids are so needy, so demanding of one's time on a daily basis - that it made that part of the depicted suburban life ring a little false to us. If that is 1950s parenting style, then wow ... it would make you wonder how our parents turned out half decent with the lack of parental involvement.

I returned home at 10:30 tonight to find Claire still awake. Oh boy - a grumpy day ahead for her tomorrow!

No comments: