Friday, November 28, 2008

A Holiday Traditions Education



Today Claire and I spent about 8 hours working on a gingerbread house (the long length of time is due to particular parts having to dry for a few hours before other parts can be added) - a first for both of us. We worked from a kit (hey, I don't have time to do this stuff from scratch) but had to improvise quite a bit because of my lack of gingerbread house-making skills. It's tough! It's actually more fun than I expected, but my icing was always the wrong consistency, making the job hard. And it's messy. Very messy.

We also made it to McDonald's for lunch (I needed a break from the kitchen), so I bundled up the kids and walked despite the cold outside. The babies skipped the morning nap and then napped all afternoon, giving us considerable time to work on the gingerbread house. My mom also came over for her belated holiday visit, and she showed me how to cook "turkey hash", a Thanksgiving holiday family tradition. She stayed for dinner and was able to help for a few minutes with the gingerbread house (which was not completed until 9:15pm tonight).

So I learned about gingerbread houses and turkey hash preparation today. Claire might have learned a few things too.

Kyle purchased our Christmas tree this year (a little skinny, but not bad otherwise), so he was prepping the tree for the house after dinner tonight. Claire is just now going to bed at 10:30pm thanks to her "assistance" with the gingerbread house and the Christmas tree. We will decorate tomorrow. Tonight Kyle is troubleshooting a leak which seems to be from our Christmas tree base. I've told him to make a Wal-Mart run now (it's open 24 hours) to save our floors from standing water but I know he's averse to these late-night trips out of the house. Once he's settled at home in the evenings he despises leaving. I'm the opposite - I usually look for reasons to leave!

News flash: Kyle says the stand isn't leaking now. Hmmmm, we'll see.

Tomorrow there's no tap class. I'm hoping to get a reasonable sleep in. Molly woke me up at 3am last night, right in the middle of this amazingly deep sleep. For the first time, I gave up after an hour of trying to calm her back down. I got Kyle and traded bedrooms with him. I thought I'd sleep well in the guest room, but instead, the "newness" of the room bothered me and I slept just as poorly as if I'd stayed with Molly. I can't win! So I need to catch up on a few hours of sleep. Starting now.

Good night.

No comments: