Monday, October 27, 2008

Playing Catch Up

I'm playing posting catch up again here. The darned television keeps sucking me in. Actually, as I watched CSI: Miami tonight (one of my guilty pleasures), I read Newsweek during commercial breaks and got through about half the magazine. So I had a mix of brain drain and enlightenment at the same time. I won't insert my personal politics here, but I can't get enough of the presidential political coverage at the moment.

We had a good weekend. Friday evening a family with 8-week-old twin girls and a 3-year-old boy stopped over to buy some of our baby clothes, and while maternal urges made me want to cradle a tiny newborn, I felt joy that I wasn't at the newborn stage anymore. Unfortunately we didn't unload the whole lot of 0-3 month size clothes, so I think I'll be a seller at the next mothers of multiples garage sale and finally get these tubs of clothes out of my house. We are drowning in girl clothes, matching and not matching.

Saturday Claire had her usual tap & ballet class and we ate at Mr. Goodcents afterwards. This is another one of those random restaurants where the people know us well and treat us nicely. We're well known at Waffle House, Mr. Goodcents, Pizza Shoppe, and Winsteads, and probably a few others I'm not remembering right now.

Saturday afternoon we blew up the bouncy thing for one last play time before winter hits, and Claire unfortunately took more interest in playing with her neighborhood friends elsewhere rather than in the bouncy thing. Urgh. This reminds me of the story my parents tell me about the time that my sister and I played with the boxes our Christmas presents came in rather than the presents themselves - I now understand the letdown a parent feels after getting a kid a present you thought she'd love but she isn't playing with. Kyle was supposed to use the afternoon time to switch the twins' carseats to forward facing (hoping to tame Molly's hatred of car rides), but somehow he got too busy with kids and a grocery trip and starting the grill. So that remains a task for this week as I'm sick of listening to Molly scream in the car.

Sunday we had a nice lunch with Papa, who pulled an Old Man on us and took a catnap on the couch after returning home from lunch (sorry, Papa, couldn't resist commenting). He was able to note a shift in our family dynamics because all three kids were awake and playing in the same room with him when he took that nap, so clearly the clamor and chaos is subsiding a little. In past months there would have been too much crying for him to take that nap. I'm not suggesting we're in a new magically perfect phase, but we do have a few moments of happy peace here and there.

Sunday afternoon I took Claire to preschool Lauren's birthday party. They had rented a commercial bouncy thing so she got some more bounce time, but the weather had turned amazingly windy and cooler so the kids gravitated toward indoors. Claire asked me to leave - yes, she really requested I leave for a while - so I went off to Wal-Mart to buy clear tubs for more kids' clothes and I returned later to pick her up. She had a good time.

The rest of the evening was spent switching out summer clothes to winter in both the twins' closet and Claire's closet. This is a massive task given the volume of clothes, and I finished about 85% of the task with the rest completed tonight after my office day. I hate doing the seasonal closet switch. Four years and counting, and I've never once gotten any help during the job. I finally made Kyle organize a few coat hangers tonight as his contribution. We added two more enormous plastic tubs of clothes to our collection in the storage room.

After the twins were put to bed, I bravely took a walk with my friend in the super windy cold night, but we kept it to about 4 miles because we were both freezing.

Today I had an office day which ended up being quite boring. Molly was having a super cranky and clingy day (what could be wrong with her??) and Claire had a full-blown meltdown tonight over her nightly candy (she stayed up too late last night). I let Kyle handle it and I guess she lost her chocolate for tomorrow also. Too bad for her, because with her 4-year check-up tomorrow and a few shots coming with that, she'll want a nice treat. I'll try to remember to check in with her well-child physical results tomorrow, assuming I don't get sucked into television tomorrow night. Good night!

No comments: